Monday, January 5, 2015

Exodus 1

Hey yall! Today's reading is Exodus chapter one. I will be using the SOAK study method from Women Living Well and it can be found here http://womenlivingwell.org/2015/01/how-to-use-soak-bible-study-method-bible-coloring-chart/ I also will be using the discussion questions that can be found here http://womenlivingwell.org/2015/01/its-time-to-begin/#comment-162476

S - 17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive.
  
20 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives: and the people multiplied, and waxed very mighty.

21 And it came to pass, because the midwives feared God, that he made them houses.

O -  I saw in these verses that the midwives feared God and therefore did not do what the king of Egypt told them to do, but what God would have them do instead. The midwives were blessed because they did not blindly obey the ruler but chose to obey God no matter the circumstances.

A - These verses apply to my life right now. I need to obey God and do what he would have me do. I need not to wrestle with what others may think of me or do to me because of my choice and privilege to serve God. I am a daughter of God and he has richly blessed me.

K - Dear God, I pray that you would please help me to be more like the midwives in Exodus chapter one. Help me to not be so fearful of what others think of me or say about me. I pray you would help me to be what you would have me to be. I thank you for all the blessings you have given me amen.


When I began reading our chapter for the day I didn't expect to get so much from it. I read about the children of Israel. They were many and they were blessed. The king of Egypt grew weary of their numbers. He was afraid that they would become mightier and rise up against him. An order came from the king to inflict more burdens on them. The children of Israel remained faithful to God and continued to multiply. Therefore the king made them suffer more, but they continued to multiply. Then the king gave the order for the midwives to kill the male babies of the Hebrew women when they were born. The midwives refused to obey the kings order and were blessed. I thought about how it must have felt to have someone in so much authority give an order and then not carry out. The midwives must have had some great faith and bravery to disobey the king of Egypt. It's so hard for some people these days to even live out their faith and not be fearful of judgement from others. I have to admit there are times when I have not been so open about my faith because I was scared of what certain people would do or say. There have been times when I knew God wanted me to do something but out of fear of ridicule I wouldn't. God's law would tell us to be flames for Him. Mans law would tell us we look weird for walking up to someone and sharing our faith with them. I really felt conviction today as I read about these midwives. We can only strive harder to be more like these women and know that our reward out ways the ridicule and is far more precious than anything this world will ever be able to offer.

Study Question: Has there ever been a time when you had to choose between mans law and Gods law? Please feel free to share with us in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment