Thursday, June 14, 2018

Summer Bible Study With Good Morning Girls (Psalm 4)


         Hey y'all! Our reading for today is Psalm chapter four. I will be using the SOAK bible study method from Courtney at Women Living Well. More information on this bible study method can be found here http://womenlivingwell.org/2015/01/how-to-use-soak-bible-study-method-bible-coloring-chart/ on her site. This week you can find lots of awesome and helpful free resources that Courtney has provided for participants here https://womenlivingwell.org/2018/06/its-time-to-begin-intro-and-resources-for-psalm-1-5/ . Now lets grab our bibles and get into God's word together!

Psalm 4
S - Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.
 
O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah.

But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the Lord will hear when I call unto him.

Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord.

There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? Lord, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.

Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.

O - I saw David turning to God in prayer. David reminds himself of Gods faithfulness and promises. He then instructs people on what to do so that they are not overcome in anger. Lastly, he tells people where they can find peace.

A - This chapter reminds me to remember what God has done for me and that He is able to do even more. I am also reminded of things I can do that can help me to find peace.

K -Dear God, thank You for all of the things You have done for me. I ask that You would help me to remember daily all of your blessings in my life. -Amen


      I have found so many interesting things to think about by reading through the book of Psalms so far and today is no different. As I read in this chapter about David turning to God in prayer and remembering Gods faithfulness, I began to see that there was a peace surrounding David. David was reminding himself in the midst of prayer that the Lord had answered him before and He could answer him again. Verse eight stuck out to me the most in this passage. This verse shows complete assurance in God. David knew that the Lord would protect him while he slept even with the difficulties surrounding him. We as believers, sometimes forget that God is who we should turn to when we are in need of rest. I am guilty of allowing my anxiety to get in the way of receiving the peace that God provides. There have been many nights where I have laid awake in bed with my mind racing. It is so easy to give into anxious thoughts but we should strive to not be overcome with them. When I am in need of tranquility and safety, I find a quiet place. In the quietness, I spend time with God. I pray, read, and write about how I'm feeling and I look for what Gods word says about it. I am learning that the only place anyone can find true rest is in the Lord. God is helping me to draw closer to Him and showing me what it means to truly confide in His peace.

     Overall, today's reading helped me see what a safe place the Lord can provide and I pray it did for you as well. Thank you for joining me today and I hope to see you back here tomorrow when we read Psalm chapter five. I will leave y'all with some discussion questions for today posted below. I invite you to fellowship with each other, share your thoughts, participate in the discussion questions, and encourage one another in the comment section below this post. Have a blessed day!
 
Do you struggle with anxious thoughts? How do you find peace in the Lord during times of difficulty?



No comments:

Post a Comment