Friday, June 15, 2018

Summer Bible Study With Good Morning Girls (Psalm 5)


     Hey y'all! Our reading for today is Psalm chapter five. I will be using the SOAK bible study method from Courtney at Women Living Well. More information on this bible study method can be found here http://womenlivingwell.org/2015/01/how-to-use-soak-bible-study-method-bible-coloring-chart/ on her site. This week you can find lots of awesome and helpful free resources that Courtney has provided for participants here https://womenlivingwell.org/2018/06/its-time-to-begin-intro-and-resources-for-psalm-1-5/ . Now lets grab our bibles and get into God's word together!

Psalm 5
S - Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation.
 
Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.

My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.

The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I 
worship toward thy holy temple.

Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.

For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.

10 Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.

11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

12 For thou, Lord, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

O - I saw David seeking out God in the beginning of his day. He sets the tone for his day in praying to God. He then shows the contrast between the wicked and those that are saved. Lastly, he tells of the joy believers will find in the Lord.

A - This chapter reminds me to begin each day spending time with God. I am also reminded that my joy comes from the Lord.

K -Dear God, thank You for the joy that comes with knowing You. I ask that You would help me to daily make time to spend in Your word. -Amen




      I have found so many interesting things to think about by reading through the book of Psalms so far and today is no different. As I read in this chapter about David beginning his day with God, I began to see that our relationship with God influences our days. David knew the importance of spending time with the Lord and he did so in diligent prayer. Verse eleven stuck out to me the most in this passage. This verse reminds me of  where the joy of believers comes from. We as followers of Christ, sometimes forget that God is who we should turn to when we are in the midst of struggles. I am guilty of allowing my own issues to overwhelm me and leave me feeling joyless. When I notice that I am beginning to lose my joy, I remind myself of all the things God has done for me. In that sort of mental inventory, I can see all of my blessings. I remind myself that these are the things that God has given me and that is enough to bring me joy. I am learning that the only place anyone can find true joy is in the Lord. God is helping me to set time with Him as a priority daily. He is teaching me how it feels to be authentically happy.

     Overall, today's reading helped me see the joy that comes from deeply knowing the Lord and I pray it did for you as well. Thank you for joining me today and I hope to see you back here Monday when we read Psalm chapter six. I will leave y'all with some discussion questions for today posted below. I invite you to fellowship with each other, share your thoughts, participate in the discussion questions, and encourage one another in the comment section below this post. Have a blessed day!
 
Do you spend time with God in the mornings? How do you find joy in the Lord despite your difficulties?



No comments:

Post a Comment