Saturday, January 10, 2015

Exodus 2 & 3

Hey yall! Our readings can be found in Exodus chapter two and three. I will be using the SOAK study method from Women Living Well and it can be found here http://womenlivingwell.org/2015/01/how-to-use-soak-bible-study-method-bible-coloring-chart/ I also will be using the discussion questions that can be found here http://womenlivingwell.org/2015/01/its-time-to-begin/#comment-162476

Exodus 2
S -  And when she could not longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therein; and she laid it in the flags by the river's brink.

 And when she had opened it, she saw the child: and, behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him, and said, This is one of the Hebrews' children.

 24 And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.

25 And God looked upon the children of Israel, and God had respect unto them.

O -  Jochebed defied Pharaohs orders and put her faith in God that He would keep her son Moses safe. Bithiah defied Pharaohs orders and felt compelled to care for Moses. God did not forget His promise to the children of Israel.

A - Listen to what God wants not what others want. Put all faith in Him and He will be faithful to you. Even if it feels like you have been forsaken, God still remembers His promises to you.

K - Dear Lord, I pray that you will help me strive to be fearless like Jochebed and Bithiah. Please help me to never lose faith and remember that you are with me always. Amen.

Exodus 3
S - And the Lord said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;

And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.

Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them.

10 Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.

11 And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?

 12 And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.

20 And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go.

 O - God heard the children of Israels cries. He said He would deliver them from Egypt and bless them with another land. Moses was questions who is he to be the one God works through. God says he will be with Moses and He will make a way.

A - God never forgets us. He is faithful to his promises. If we obey and have faith, He will make the impossible possible.

K - God I thank you for never forsaking me. Even when my prayers seem like they go unheard I thank you for allowing only your will in my life. I ask that you would help me live in faith and obedience so that you might work through me. Amen.

As I read Exodus chapter two today I revisited a story that I have heard many times. The story of Moses being born and how his mother put her son in God's hands. I can't imagine what it must have felt like for her to place her little baby in a basket and send him into the river. I looked at  my precious nine month old son and began wondering if I would have been able to find the courage to do that very thing if it had been me. I am a very fearful person about many things in life. I had to be honest with myself and say I think I would have been too afraid. I kept reading and got to the part where Pharaohs daughter finds Moses and takes him in as her son. She defies her father and shows again the characteristic of being fearless. Now when I say fearless I mean it in a since of not worrying about other peoples judgements or actions against you. I need to learn this lesson myself. It's impossible to live fully for Christ without complete faith in Him and no fear of others. We also see that God makes mention of His promise to the children of Israel again. He hears their cries and has not forsaken them. There are many times when I have thought for sure God has forgotten me. If prayers aren't answered right when you feel they should be, don't give up. I want to encourage you to press on and have faith. God hears you and you have not been forgotten. In chapter 3 we see that God says again He has heard their cries. He tells Moses He is going to bring them out of bondage and bless them with another land. He tells Moses that he is to go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out from Egypt. That task would have seemed overbearing for me. I would have wondered just like Moses did as he asked God, Who am I to do such a thing? God tells him that He will be with him. Moses shows us how to trust in the will of God right in this moment. If we do what God tells us to do, He will be with us. God also lets him know that He will make a way for what seems impossible to be done. It is amazing to me that if we are obedient, have faith, and are fearless of others, God can work through us and mountains can be moved! Has there been a time when you were fearless? Can you think of a time when God has been able to work through you because you were obedient?I hope we can all learn from these wonderful examples to be more obedient, faithful, and fearless.

Study Questions:Has there been a time in your life when God allowed something to happen to show you a unique view? Has there been a time in your life when your needs were met by an unlikely source? Please feel free to share with us in the comment section.


No comments:

Post a Comment