Saturday, June 9, 2018

Book Club (Anything Week One)


     Hey yall! I hope you are enjoying reading along with me in the book Anything by Jennie Allen. This weeks corresponding video can be found here http://www.whatisyouranything.com/anything-study/ along with conversation starters and a delicious recipe for peanut butter swirl brownies. I don't know about you, but I am definitely gonna be making these this weekend! If you tried out the recipe, let us know how it was. I would love for everyone to get to know each other in the comments with the conversation starter questions so we can build a sense of community here. I also invite everyone to participate in the discussion questions to help us grow in our walk of faith together. Now lets get this weeks edition of book club started!

     This week we read chapters one through three. If you are anything like me, you were hit in the face with some strong truths this week concerning unbelief, pretending, and shame. These three things hinder our ability to completely give our lives over to God. The hindrance that stuck out to me the most was shame. I personally have struggled with feelings and thoughts of shame in my walk with the Lord. Unlike Jennie, I was not the good christian girl growing up. I was exposed to God and church as a young child but during my teenage years I began to wander. I started searching for something other than God out of a rebellious heart. I had felt God in the past but it was easier to stray and look for a more lenient lifestyle. I didn't want to change for God as we are commanded to do when we become believers. I was selfish and chose not to give up my sins. So I searched and became involved in a form of alternative spirituality. In the end, I realized that I wasn't where I was supposed to be. I began a slow and painful process of finding my way back to God. I can't even clearly express how much shame I feel for turning my back on God during that part of my life. I like to bottle that time of my life up and hide it in the farthest darkest corner. I still struggle sometimes with doubting that God could ever forgive me for doubting Him. Sometimes I feel a mixture of doubt, shame, and anxiety creeping up concerning my past. However, I have taken comfort in 1 John 1 : 9 which explains that God is faithful to forgive us. What a wonderful savior Christ is to offer His redeeming grace to anyone who confesses their sin.
   
     I would like to encourage you to do some self reflection this week. Look at the places in your life that are dark and consider all you have to gain from shedding light on them. Allow God to help you and never loose sight of His grace and love. Thank you for joining me for Week one of book club. I hope to see you back this time next week!

Scripture of the week: 1 John 1 : 5-10
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Prayer: Dear God, Thank you so much for your saving grace. I ask that you would shed light on the dark places in my life. Please help me to become self aware to the things I need to continue to work on. -Amen

Discussion Questions: How have you dealt with unbelief, pretending, and shame? What do you struggle with that keeps you from completely giving your life over to God? 




No comments:

Post a Comment