Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Summer Bible Study With Good Morning Girls (Psalm 2)


    Hey y'all! Our reading for today is Psalm chapter two. I will be using the SOAK bible study method from Courtney at Women Living Well. More information on this bible study method can be found here http://womenlivingwell.org/2015/01/how-to-use-soak-bible-study-method-bible-coloring-chart/ on her site. This week you can find lots of awesome and helpful free resources that Courtney has provided for participants here https://womenlivingwell.org/2018/06/its-time-to-begin-intro-and-resources-for-psalm-1-5/ . Now lets grab our bibles and get into God's word together!

Psalm 2
S - Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
 
The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying,

Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.

11 Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

O - I saw a parallel between those who defy God and those who submit to God. God warns that those who defy him will perish. However, those who serve and trust Him will be blessed.

A - This chapter reminds me that God is to be revered. I am also reminded that I can rejoice in knowing that I am His. These verses give me assurance and guidance for my walk with the Lord.

K -Dear God, thank You for being the awesome and mighty God that You are. I ask that you would help me to remember to have a reverent fear of You and to rejoice in Your presence. -Amen



     I have found so many interesting things to think about by reading through the book of Psalms so far and today is no different. As I read in this chapter about the nations that defied God and the ones who revered God, I began to wonder what the reasons were for their decisions. The nations that defied God, did so because they were selfish and did not trust or fear Him. Those who revered God, did so because they trusted in Him and had received His promise. Verse eleven stuck out to me the most in this passage. This verse gives us a command to serve the Lord with fear. Serving God with fear might seem like an odd idea. I used to think that fearing God meant you were afraid of Him because He was this mean being who sent you to hell if you weren't perfect. That is not what fearing God means at all. The fear mentioned here is a respectful fear. We as believers, should show reverence in His presence and rejoice in the fact that He is our Lord. In my own life, I fear God by striving to honor the Lord in my everyday actions and words. I try my best to keep in mind what God expects of me and to be aware of myself constantly. However, I am human and have a sinful nature just as everyone else. So even though I may try my hardest, I fall on my face a lot. Fortunately, we serve a caring Father who is faithful to forgive us if we turn from our sin and repent. I am learning to hold myself accountable for my mistakes and to take my defeats to the Lord in prayer. God is helping me to continually develop in my reverence for Him and to find joy in His faithfulness.

     Overall, today's reading helped me to look at the fear of God in a new way and I pray it did for you as well. Thank you for joining me today and I hope to see you back here tomorrow when we read Psalm chapter three. I will leave y'all with the discussion questions for today posted below. I invite you to fellowship with each other, share your thoughts, participate in the discussion questions, and encourage one another in the comment section below this post. Have a blessed day!

 
In what ways do you fear God and how does that affect your daily life?

No comments:

Post a Comment