Friday, June 15, 2018

Book Club (Anything Week Two)


     Hey y'all! I hope you are enjoying reading along with me in the book Anything by Jennie Allen. This weeks corresponding video can be found here http://www.whatisyouranything.com/anything-study/ along with conversation starters and a recipe for goat cheese toasts with honey and walnuts. If you tried out the recipe, let us know how it was. I would love for everyone to get to know each other in the comments with the conversation starter questions so we can build a sense of community here. I also invite everyone to participate in the discussion questions to help us grow in our walk of faith together. Now lets get this weeks edition of book club started!

     This week we read chapters four and five. We were confronted with approval and entitlement this week. These two things hinder our ability to truly let go in complete surrender to God. The hindrance that stuck out to me the most was approval. I continually struggle with feelings of wanting and needing the approval of others. I crave to be accepted and liked by everyone. For as long as I can remember, this has been a problem for me. The approval I seek from others starts to become the focal point of my life. I desire to be perfect in the eyes of others and begin to pretend that I am to an extent. Unfortunately, I forget that the only one I should desire to please is my Lord. God calls us to give up our lives and let go of our desire for approval. He wants us to let go of seeking out fulfillment in other people and things. In Matthew 19:21 Jesus says "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." In this verse, Jesus is asking a man to give up his most prized possession for eternal life with him. That mans idol was possessions. My idol is approval. We all struggle with something and it is okay to admit it. Sometimes I feel like I should have conquered mine by now. However, I have faith that with Gods help I will be able to let go. God is faithful to help us conquer our sins if we surrender to Him.
 
     I would like to encourage you to do some self reflection this week. Look at the things that may have become idols in your life. Allow God to help you work on letting go of your sin. Thank you for joining me for Week two of book club. I hope to see you back this time next week!

Scripture of the week: Matthew 19:16-30

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Prayer: Dear God, Thank you so much for your gift of salvation. I ask that you would help me completely let go of the sins holding me back from surrendering to You. Please help me to trust in You. -Amen

Discussion Questions: What idols are holding you back from letting go? What would life look like if you surrendered those idols to God completely?




No comments:

Post a Comment